Tuesday, January 20, 2015

The History of Testing and Assessment

The first chapter managed to combine my least favorite topic with something I have grown to dislike over the months of training to be a School Counselor: history and testing. History has been a subject that I have despised for as long as I can remember (and is my worst category on Trivia Crack for a reason!). Testing, on the other hand, has recently presented itself to me as being overbearing, daunting, exhausting, and a chore. To be honest, I'm mainly talking about standardized testing like the SOL's. I understand that in order for the college application process to be competitive and for colleges to have a stronger "edge" over other schools, standardized testing, like the SAT and ACT, is necessary. At the same time, it makes me so angry to see teachers teaching the test rather than their curriculum in order for their students to pass and go on to the next grade. 
This chapter was tough to read because of the countless references to historical testing measurements, but it also showed how much we, as a society, have progressed in our ability to test and assess individuals. The Army Alpha test is a great example of how much we have grown in the testing realm. Since I got a mental score of 11.25, I would say that this test is very inaccurate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment