Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Ethics in Testing and Assessment

Last weeks conversation about equality for accessing test preparation really got me thinking about the post this week. I have a strong belief that the standardized testing system, such as the SAT and GRE, are unethical in the way test prep materials are made available to students wanting or needing to take the said tests. I didn't take an SAT prep test like many of my peers did in high school, mainly because I didn't have the time to take a Saturday class in the midst of my club soccer season. Not only was the class time consuming, but it was also expensive. I have no doubt that my parents would have had a problem paying for the class fee, but I felt bad since they were already paying for my SAT testing fee as well as my ACT testing fee. 
Don't even get me started on the GRE! I will just say that I downloaded free apps on my phone to study the verbal portion of the test. I wasn't about to pay 200+ dollars for a course or a book on a college budget. 
The test preparation system seems very unethical to me because I get the sense that it weeds many individuals out of the test taking process. There should be a new system that allows equal opportunity for all individuals interested in taking these tests. I'm not sure what this system would look like, but in order for the system to be more ethical, something needs to change.


No comments:

Post a Comment